Why Puppy School Is Crucial
Have you ever wondered what is the rave about puppy schools and why puppies should attend these classes? Behaviourist Samantha Walpole explains why it is important for your puppy.
Why it’s important:
- It’s a critical, one-time window of opportunity, we never get back
- Attending a well-run socialisation school shapes behaviour forever
What does he learn I can’t teach him at home?
- He gets exposure to his social world
- Novel stimuli and experiences we take for granted
- Opportunities to play with pups of different breeds, sizes and dispositions
- He learns to ‘speak dog,’ and function in a canine society
- Puppy play teaches ‘bite inhibition’ (learning to control bite intensity)
A typical syllabus in a well-run puppy school would include:
- Loose-leash walking.
- Activities teaching body awareness and sensory stimulation
- Basic manners
- Practical and theoretical information on typical puppy behaviours
Click below to discover more about puppy school.